September Song

This is a photo from last fall. 
The leaves haven't started changing yet 
but it won't be long til they look like this.


Finally we’re getting some warmer temperatures today after a very cool summer here in Ontario. Hard to imagine that fall is on its way. Today kids started school again and all the clubs and groups will be starting their sessions. September feels more like the start of a new year than January. It’s a busy and exciting time, full of new beginnings and possibilities. And yet, on the other hand, fall signifies the ending of summer with plants dying, leaves falling from the trees, and winter approaching.

When I think of music associated with fall, “September Song” is the first song that comes to mind. I’ve always found “September Song" so melancholy and bittersweet. I especially like this version done by Frank Sinatra as he always fills his songs with so much emotion.


It starts off talking about a young man enjoying his youth as he chases the girls but how quickly it passes and he is in the September of his life.

On one level, September Song reminds me that summer is drawing to a close and fall is beckoning with cooler weather and the changing colour of the leaves. Soon the trees will be bare and grey as the Canadian winter lurks in the shadows, waiting to pounce. We have to enjoy these long, warm days while we can.

September Song is especially poignant on another level as it reminds me of time passing and how I’m getting older and have less time in front of me than behind me. Seeing our parents aging is also tough.

The main thing is to make the most of each day as we don’t know how many days are left and they become more and more precious as time passes. Share them with the special people in your life and live them with joy.


“Oh, the days dwindle down to a precious few
September, November
And these few precious days I'll spend with you
These precious days I'll spend with you.”


Comments

  1. That's a great song.. And first that comes to my mind is , "Wake me up when September ends.." by GreenDay, where the lead singer writes this song for his father, who died of cancer on September 1. At his father's funeral, he cried, ran home and locked himself in his room. When his mother got home and knocked on the door to his room, he simply said, "Wake me up when September ends,".....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, you're not getting older, Cat. You will always be young and sprightly, in my book. Autumn is a state of mind, just like everything else. Enjoy the colours and the beauty, because they mirror you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean, Cat! As you mentioned, September is full of new beginnings and possibilities, so cheers to the exciting times and brand new beginnings and enjoy every moment of it! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, Frank Sinatra, who also sang a song 'It Was a Very Good Year", also recorded by Chad and Jeremy. But when I think of Chad and Jeremy, I think of their hit "A Summer Song". In a way it brings me almost full circle. I also am in the autumn of my years. I hope brutal winter doesn't come for a long,long time. Alana

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

B is for Beauty of the Birds #AtoZChallenge

#MicroblogMonday - Small Actions Do Make a Difference